WVPTI, Inc. provides training, information and technical assistance to equip families of children birth through twenty-six to advocate successfully for their children. As a result of our assistance to families and professionals, children and adults with disabilities will live rich, active lives participating as full members of their schools and communities.
WVPTI was established in 1991 from a grant from the United States Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services. Parents and others who have received our services value our knowledge, experience, information and services delivered by parents "who have been there".
WVPTI is a statewide, cross-disability, parent/professional, and non-profit group. We provide tools to help gain appropriate educational services for children with special needs. We really DO understand the complex issues our children face.
The educational system is confusing, frustrating, and often maddening, and in meetings you are faced with experts and professionals saying things you don't understand or may not believe...
- Some 'rules' in education make no sense to you or your child...
- You are the expert on your child...
- You have the most acceptance and understanding of your child's strengths and needs...
- Without you and your voice and knowledge, decisions about your child will be made by an agency of constantly shifting professionals who only see and understand a portion of your child...
- Many times agencies struggle with budget problems and agency constraints and act by deciding where your child fits rather than what he or she needs.
We provide trainings, technical assistance, consultations, information and referral on such topics as:
- Laws, rules, regulations and procedures that affect children with disabilities in education and equal access to the community.
- Information about specific disabilities, such as communication disorders, ADD, intellectual handicaps, etc.
- Links to parents of children with similar needs through referral and support groups.
WVPTI staff and Regional Trainers are parents of children with special needs. These trainers are based in different areas across West Virginia. Their job is to locate and give tools to their parents to help gain appropriate educational services for children with special needs. These Trainers have already faced conflicts and issues with school teams and have found themselves at some point in the same position you find yourselves.
All of our services to parents and families are free. Additionally, travel reimbursement is provided to all of our trainings.